Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 15:27:24 -0500
Forwarded message:
> From [log in to unmask] Wed Apr  7 13:48:19 1993
> Date:         Wed, 07 Apr 93 11:46:13 PDT
> From: Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Cheap access to listservs...
> To: Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1993 13:39:26 -0500 you said:
> >Does anyone out there know of an article or file I can download that
> >outlines all the various ways that people can access listserv (i.e
> >BitNet or InterNet mail) that are available to people not affiliated
> >with a university and not wishing to pay a lot of cash for on-line
> >services.  I know of FreeNet and FidoNet.  Are there other systems out
> >there?  What costs if any are involved?

> The usual answers are:
>   AOL.COM        - America Online
>   CompuServe.COM - CompuServe
>   DELPHI.COM     - Delphi
>   PRODIGY.COM    - Sears/PRODIGY (whenever they actually **do** get
>                                   their link connected)
> Costs, of course, vary.  Each system probably has an 800-number
> for voice-access to introductory information.

I am aware of the above services, but they can get quite expensive as
they all use a "pay per play" concept for download/upload/e-mail
services.  I have heard some horror stories of people running up
hundreds or even thousands of dollar invoices after getting addicted to
these services.  While these cases are probably rare, it does point out
the need for really inexpensive interfaces (close to free!)

This is what I am looking for.  They don't have to be fancy (ya gets
what ya pays for) but even a e-mail only interface with no ftp or other
frills would be just fine...

--
Bruce P. A. Dienes                     Beware the iniquitous Disk Trolls!
BitNet:   dienes@uiucvmd