John Senft <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 12:27:07 -0500
hello everyone, I'm in analysis mode here ... please help!

My Goal is to setup a Mailing List for an independent musical group.  It will
basically be a discussion forum for their fans.  I am looking for a Provider
of a Reliable, Affordable, Easy-to-use solution and would appreciate
recommendations on Mailing List Management Software and of a MTM Provider.

I've narrowed the MTM selection down to ListServ and Majordomo, so I'm
sending this note to both the ListServ Owner's group: LSTOWN-L (subscribed
via "[log in to unmask]") to and to Majordomo Users (subscribed via
"[log in to unmask]")  If there's another group I should send
this note, please let me know!

Required Volume?  The band's current paper mailing list has a subscription of
approximately 10,000 people.  I don't know how many are electronically
enabled, but I expect hundreds will initially subscribe and it will grow to a
couple of thousand within a year.

Required Features? (just the 'basics', really ...)
- For subscribers: easy way to Subscribe/Unsubscribe, obtain Digest version,
get instructions on how to use it, etc.
- For owner (me): easy way to Moderate the list (at least initially), solid
error handling for incorrectly written or sent e-mails, etc.

Price-wise, I'm not sure what to expect to pay for that Volume and those
Features, and I've found big differences (so far):

- Majordomo: I've looked into "POBOX" a little.  They'll setup a list and
I'll use their web interface to manage list options.  They'll charge me $50 a
year.

- ListServ: I've looked around my local area (Central Connecticut) and have
found only a few providers ... One of them will setup a list using ListServ
and I'll be charged $20 a Month ($240 a year) and that was the lowest cost
provider.

I'd appreciate any private replies regarding ListServ and Majordomo.  I'm
most interested in why you think one is 'better' than the other (features,
easy or use, reliability, etc., etc., etc.) AND I'm very interested in
finding an 'affordable' Mailing List Provider.

thanks very much!,
John Senft.