Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 07:59:36 PDT
> Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:07:46 -0400
> From: "J. Paul Sheridan, III" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I've got this very inane thread going on in one of my lists.  What's the
> politest way to shut it down?

1. Let it die of its own inaneness in its own good time, or
2. Ask the major proponents to take it off-list until they arrive at some
   conclusion that they can bring back to the list for others to reflect on,
   or
3. Be surprised when it turns into something interesting.

I've practiced the first option for years --it works. Sometimes, it turns
into the third option. Not every thought is brilliant, but some good ones
are often uncovered by kicking the dirt around.
Peter R.