Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:25:33 -0500
I'm having a problem with my list and can't seem to work out how to fix it
from the list owner's manual.

One of the subscribers to my list uses Outlook 97, and it keeps attaching a
file to his posts called "winmail.dat".  I don't get this when he emails me
directly, only with his posts to the list.  In addition, some subscribers
(myself included) will get two copies of each of his posts: one version of
his post with the attachment, and a second with the attachment converted to
text and appended to his post (looks like uuencoding, that sort of thing).
 The problem I am having is that it seems to cause problems with some of
the other subscribers receiving the posts.  A couple have reported that it
causes thier email to hang, so they have to continue downloading the post
manually, and one who gets the digested form has reported that he doesn't
get any more of the digest after the first post appearing in that day's
digest from this subscriber.  I haven't had any trouble getting the entire
digest myself, but have found that the digest will appear with the subject
of this subscriber's first post instead of the regular list digest header.
I tried adding the setting "NOFILES" in the DEFAULT field, to see if that
would strip the file attachment... it had no effect on people already
getting doubled posts, and caused the people who were not getting doubled
posts to start.  Is there any way to make listserv strip these file
attachments from the posts?  FWIW, file attachments are normally not sent
over this list, so it's not a problem if there is any way to strip them.

Here's an example:

begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
M>)\^(CH#`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$(@ <`
M& ```$E032Y-:6-R;W-O9G0@36%I;"Y.;W1E`#$(`0V ! `"`````@`"``$$
MD 8`F $```$````0`````P``, (````+``\.``````(!_P\!````0P``````
M``"!*Q^DOJ,0&9UN`-T!#U0"`````%1I<DYA;D]C`%--5% `5$E23D%.3T-

(snippage of about 3k worth of this stuff)

end

Any help is deeply appreciated

Tiernan

<0o---<>---o0<Mistress of the Wild Hunt>0o---<>---o0>
     I just don't seem to be able to do this
   'pretend you have a normal life' thing well.
                                        -- Selendria
<0o---<>---o0< http://www.tirnanoc.org >0o---<>---o0>
                      mhm22x21