Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 May 1994 10:45:00 EDT
On Wed, 25 May 1994 16:50:51 EDT you said:
>Where the Information Superhighway is open to everyone and there are no
>rules governing its use  -- no traffic signs, no speed limits, no vehicle
>inspections, nothing -- then Canter & Siegel are not aberrations, they
>are the users of the future.  Flaming isn't going to stop it.
>Nor will putting a finger in the dike by trying to filter out certain
>accounts or nodes or messages with too many CCs.  As long as it is
>legal, a whiz bang programmer will figure out some way to do away with
>your bandage.

Absolutely right. That's  why every Internet service provider  should be held
responsible for educating his or her Internet  users as to the dos and don'ts
of Internet  use. That's why I  distribute an Internet etiquette  document to
new Internet users here at Temple.  Anyone who wants this document is welcome
to get  a slightly  modified version of  it. This file  is available  lots of
ways, but  since we're all  Listserv users, just  send a GET  NETIQUET INFOHN
request to  [log in to unmask] or to listserv@templevm  for this document
if you're interested in it.

My approach  to this problem  is better education  and perhaps by  making new
Internet  users sign  an agreement  that  they agree  to certain  conventions
regarding Internet use. Does anyone have a  suggestion as to what would be in
that agreement?

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.