George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:59:31 -0400
I hope it doesn't come as too much of a surprise that, yes, it is
common practice to set REVIEW=OWNER, for various reasons, but
especially as a spam deterrent.  As I understand it, this still
allows anyone to receive a list header upon a REV request (instead
of the subscriber list itself) unless you also set CONFIDENTIAL=YES.
At least I presume this hasn't changed with 1.8c (corrections welcome).
I own some 25 lists, most of which are committees of a very limited
membership (SUBSCRIPTION=BY_OWNER), and are thus set CONFIDENTIAL=YES.
These are the lists where REVIEW=PRIVATE. The "public" (non-confidential)
lists are set REVIEW=OWNER.  Subscribers concerned with the availability
of the subscriber list can get the list header to find out what the rules
are.

Nothing should be assumed across the board.  Tradition to one list
can be anathema to another.

I don't know if this is only a recent tactic (it is in my experience),
but I am now getting messages, submitted to my moderated lists, which
pretend to be FROM: OWNER-LISTSERV@<myhostname>.  While this didn't
work as intended by the spammer, it is only a matter of time before
they bother to retrieve the actual owner/editor addresses.  This is
another example of the kind of tactics listowners have to be proactively
vigilant of.  (Those with 1.8c have a nice way to handle this:
SEND=EDITOR,HOLD,CONFIRM.)

George Buckner
Listowner, [log in to unmask]