Sun, 9 Apr 1995 23:54:50 -0500
On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, Dave Gomberg wrote:
> How do you know there was no 0AD?   Was you dere Charley?

Naturally, as I'm not immortal, I was not "there," and my name isn't
"Charley" (if my name were Charles it still wouldn't be Charley).
Fortunately, I didn't have to be there, as the the B.C/A.D. year
numbering scheme is merely that, a scheme.  As such, it has definite
rules (you may look them up, if you like). You go from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D.,
there is no 0 B.C. nor 0 A.D. (you couldn't even have zero seconds, or
microseconds or nanoseconds, he was born, or he wasn't).

> Actually, the question is unanswerable, so an arbitrary end-of-millenium
> is just fine.   Dave
> Dave Gomberg, San Francisco           Internet: [log in to unmask]

Not unanswerable, answered *many* years ago. The scheme itself is arbitrary,
but the rules of the scheme are the rules of the scheme, and should be
followed if the scheme is going to be used.  Misuse of the scheme by those
ignorant of the rules should prompt one to an education program.

Please, if anyone wants to reply to this, do it personally, not on
the list?  My address is  [log in to unmask]

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L