Tesa Marcon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:34:41 +1000
Dear members,

Someone referred me to a possible recent discussion here, but couldn't locate
the remembered thread.

I have received conflicting information about the issue of whether ListServ
picks up and puts the name a member subscribes with into their mail to a
mailing list.  I've looked at this carefully and it sure is looking like it
does, maybe in all cases but at least in the case of those either choosing not
to, or who cannot,
insert a name into their emailer profile. I tested this with an AOL member by
re subscribing her to my list with a distinctive name and adjured her to not
change anything at her end.  Her mail began arriving to the list with her
newly subscribed distinctive name.

I was informed by someone;
that their impression is "that the name used on the subscribe command line is
used first, followed by whatever is on a posting.  If a name is not given then
I thought the server checked the "SIGNUP" files for a name to go with this ID.
 E.G: subscribe SJUOWNER Fred Blake will enter Fred
Blake into SJUOWNER *and* the signup file, so that a later subscription to a
different list with no address given could still enter the new list as Fred
Blake.

By another;
listserv does NOT do this.

I have stipulated that my potential subscribers should sign on to my lists
with real names assuring them that I will be the only person to see them based
on information I received from other listowners at the time.

If it is true that listserv does pick up the subscribers name from their
subscription does the manual advise that this is the case and if not, why not.
 And why does listserv do this?

Thankyou kindly in advance,
Tesa Marcon