Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:45:53 -0600
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:21:43 -0300, Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I own two lists at a neighbouring university, running listserv
>16.0, and I want to move them to other universities, also
>running listserv 16.0.

Less important than 16.0 -> 16.0 is old OS -> new OS.  Although cross platform
moves are certainly possible, they present a few more challenges than same
platform moves.

>(Essentially, is it just a matter of moving the files?)

Yes.  Before you do this put the list in HOLD status (stops messages from
posting).

The archives are a bunch of files of LISTNAME.LOGyymmx.  Usually, as Paul
suggests they are all together in a separate directory.  Zip them up is the
easiest way.  However, first have the origin Sys Admin delete the 2-3 INdex
files (LISTNAME.DBxxxx) These are machine specific and will not work on the
new machine.  Have no fear, LISTSERV on the new machine will rebuild them.

Secondly you need the files in LISTSERV's "main" directory (Windows:
x:\LISTSERV\MAIN, unix: ~/listserv/home) LISTNAME.LIST and other LISTNAME.xxxx
files such as LISTNAME.MAILTPL, LISTNAME.WWWTPL, LISTNAME.AUTODEL, etc.  Again
it is easiest to ZIP these altogether.

If you have WWW accessible archive on the old server there will also be files
in the WWW subdirectory (this varies but typically Windows:
x:\LISTSERV\WWW\archives\LISTNAME\LISTNAME.*, unix:
~/htdocs/archives/listname/listname.*)  These are the WWW index files.  DO NOT
migrate any of these files.  They are useless on the new machine.

On the new machine, have the sysadmin make an appropriate directory for the
list message archives (this location is system dependent).  Then unzip the
message archives in this dir.  Here you may have a slight problem if you going
cross platform.  For example unix uses LF only as end-of-line (EOL).
Windows/Dos uses CRLF for EOL.  The archives are text files and may need
changing to fit the target OS.  This can be done on the receiving side or the
origin side, but not both.

Then unzip the files in the "main" directory.  The LISTNAME.LIST file is
binary and OS independent in format.  LISTNAME.*TPL, LISTNAME.WELCOME are text
files and may need adjustment for cross platform move.

In the WWW directory on the new machine, simply make an empty directory named
LISTNAME under the ~/archives path appropriate to the new machine.

It is almost certain that the directory path to the message archives will be
different on the new machine.  DO NOT edit the LISTNAME.LIST file directly.
Instead, once the file is unzipped and available on the new server, the
SysAdmin will need to edit the list header (easy via the LISTSERV WWW
interface) to change the directory path.  List Owner cannot do this.  Once
this is done, assuming it is correct, LISTSERV will immediately and
automatically create new WWW index files in the empty directory named LISTNAME
under the ~/archives path appropriate to the new machine.  This is a good test
that the new LISTSERV instance sees the list, sees the archives, and all is
well.

Now is a good time for a test posting to the list at its new home.

On the old server, (remember the list is still on HOLD), have the Admin edit
the list header and insert only these 2 line (remove all other lines!)

New-List= [log in to unmask]
Owner= [log in to unmask]

This turns on LISTSERV's automatic forwarding feature.  All posts to the old
address will a) be forwarded to the new server address and b) a notification
message about the new/changed address will be sent (from the old server) to
the sender of the message.

Now have the admin issue the FREE LISTNAME command.  You are no longer the
Owner= and can't do this any more.  The Admin is an Owner= of every list on
the server so they can do this.