Fri, 1 May 1998 00:47:21 -0500
> Okay, let me get this straight.  Are you saying that unless you have your
> defult sub options as having 'renew' in it, and unless you 'set listname
> renew for *@*' the renew will never work?  Does this work the same if you
> use the probe?

I cannot speak to the Probe setting.  an interesting feature but if I am
going to have Renew I prefer a definite, positive response from the
subscriber, rather than just checking to see if the address is still
valid.

Unless someone has changed things while I wasn't looking, a keyword of
Renew= whatever will not affect subscriptions set NORENEW.  I don't know
what the list default is now, but it used to be NORENEW.  If you want new
subscribers set to RENEW you must put it in your Default-options= keyword
(you're changing the default).  That affects only new subscribers.  For
old subscribers who are set, by default, NORENEW, you must change the
setting with     quiet set listname renew for *@*
THEN your Renew= keyword settings will take effect.  Any sub still set
NORENEW (like, um, the usenet gateways we're dumping) will NEVER get a
renewal notice.  If you have always had Default-options=Renew  then all
subscribers are set Renew, unless you have changed the option for
individual subscribers (listowner restricted option, subscriber can't do
it).  If you have never had Renew in your Default-options=   all your
subscribers are probably set NORENEW by default, so the Renew= keyword
will do nothing (unless, maybe you use Probe, to which I can't speak).

For the subscriber to get a Renewal notice the subscriber's options (the
settings that are part of each subscription) must be set to RENEW.  You
have to have a Renew= keyword in the list header and each subscription
must have Renew set in the options.

At any rate, that's the way it USED to work (I'm not talking probe, ain't
used it).
      Douglas