Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 12:31:03 -0600

> There is a predefined topic called  OTHER which includes all messages not
> falling into  any of the  topics listed in  "Topics=". The default  is to
> receive all topics, and you can change that as you like.
>
>   Eric

OK.  What I want to do is to set up a topic called CANADA which can be
used by Canadian members of the list to communicate with each other
without cluttering the mailboxes of the 200 other list members who could
care less about Canadian issues.

So:  Can I set the list up so that the default setting for each member
is Topics=Other, and then have the Canadians set their options for
Topics=Canada,Other ?

I am assuming that setting everyone Topics=Other is the only way to
filter out specific topics, otherwise they would automatically receive
every posting, regardless of topic.  Is this right?  If so, how do I set
the list header so that all current subscribers, and all new subscribers
as they come on line will be SET TOPICS=OTHER.  I assume that these are
two different issues (existing versus new subscribers)

Presumably SET QUAKER-L TOPICS=OTHER FOR *  would take care of existing
members (please correct me if I am wrong - I am not an expert at this!)
The remaining issue is how to set the default so that new subscribers
will not receive CANADA: posts. (Assuming I have the right approach in
the first place!)

Thanks for your help!

--
Bruce P. A. Dienes                     Beware the iniquitous Disk Trolls!
BitNet:   dienes@uiucvmd