"Accentuated Brandname Creativity, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:14:38 -0400
John wrote in part:

>Actually, they are just never prompted to renew.

Okay, I see how that would be the heart of the "norenew" matter.

Rich wrote in part:

>I would strongly suggest doing this as:

>  QUIET SET  listname  NORENEW FOR *@*

Thanks to him for the clarification; sounds good to me.

Andrew wrote in part:

>It's easier to shut off the auto-delete feature by setting Auto-Delete=No
>in the list header, since that will have a similar effect.

Will doing so increase the frequency of bounce notifications we receive?
(Hal's comment "If you change to Auto-Delete= No, you will probably find
the error reports unbearable" seemed to mean that fresh reports will kick
in automatically, so I understand that the answer may well be yes.)
Speaking of which, how can we limit or even eliminate these, even if
Listserv always has to relay them to at least the listowner?

John also wrote in part:

>There is just no way to prevent auto-deletion (on a per subscriber basis)
>for bouncing as long as a subscriber's mail server is throwing permanent
>errors

Actually, the prevention I meant to be asking about would not necessarily
be per subscriber. We have it occurring for (e.g.) several Bellsouth or
Comcast subscribers at a time, every few days, and the accuracy of those
error messages is not something we assume (for the lists where I am a
moderator, I mean).

>aren't interested enough to keep their mail box cleaned out

If their ISP draws that inference, I may feel for the customer but certainly
won't instead identify with the ISP.

>In the case of this Webtv user, I see the server is throwing a permanent
>error for a temporary problem (mail box full).

I thought it was 554. But regardless of whether the mail box is purportedly
full or whether suspected spam is being bounced or whether the account is
declared not or no longer to exist, having one's doubts about those error
messages can be healthy.

Chuck Brandstater