Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:58:38 -0600
At 05:34 PM 4/8/97 EST, you wrote:
>No, what I'm asking is that there be a way for me to configure my LISTSERV to
>not autoforward.  To continue the phone analogy, if I don't dial an area code
>the phone system doesn't see if the exchange & number is valid in another
area
>code.

But you're failing to see the KEY words in Nathan's message.....note
following quotes from Nathan, and my comments....

>But the list <is> valid, the <user> simply screwed up.  In any case there's
>no way to turn off the GLX that I'm aware of.  It's an integral part of
>the LISTSERV system.  What you're asking is like asking the phone company
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LISTSERV is a SYSTEM.  It is not a bunch of isolated little servers sitting
around doing whatever the hell they want.  The beauty of it is that it IS a
part of a system.  To continue your phone analogy, you want to have your
little private phone system that isn't integrated with the rest of the
world, running your own standards, etc, and you'll plug in to the larger
system when it is convenient for you.  The SYSTEM is what gives you spam
protection, efficient message handling, convenience to users, etc.  You
worry about some doofus who made a typo.  Fine.  Why not worry about the
other doofuses (doofi??) that send the right listname to the wrong
listserv.  In fact, that part of the SYSTEM is what is great.  People don't
HAVE to worry about where the list is hosted.

>to turn off your access to all phone numbers that you didn't intend to
>dial, just because you got a wrong number.

Exactly.  And I can't imagine Eric turning off your connection to the rest
of the world just because someone made a typo.  If the msg went to wrong
list, the guy could fail to confirm and no harm.  In case the wrong list
doesn't require confirmations (heaven's gate forbid), then s/he can read
the instructions they receive and unsub forthwith.

cyclops, who values the SYSTEM

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534