Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 01:00:03 -0400
Some time back, I set my subscription options for this list to nomail.  I
have not set them to mail for the purpose of sending this message.  Accordingly,
I would appreciate if any response could be CC'd to me.

This one seems a bit strange to me.  Due to some temporary spam problems,
I had to direct my e-mail from the lists I run to a different e-mail address.
It seems, however, that LISTSERV is not recognizing my new e-mail address
as a valid address.  Believing I should have no difficulty verifying the
existance
of my own e-mail address, I did a QUIET ADD of myself to the three lists I
maintain,
setting my other e-mail address to nomail for all three lists.  More to the
point,
I get the following error message when a message should be delivered to this
account (I've replaced the list name itself with a bunch of x characters):

> The enclosed message, found in the xxxxxxxxx mailbox and shown under the spool
> ID 261354 in the system log, has  been identified as a possible delivery error
> notice for the following reason:  "Message/Delivery-Status" body part found in
> the message body.
>
> ------------------------ Message in error (129 lines) -------------------------
> Date:       Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:40:48 -0500
> From:       "LSMTP for OpenVMS v1.1a" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:    Undelivered mail
> To:         [log in to unmask]
>
> An error was detected while processing the enclosed message.  A list of
> the affected recipient follows.   This list is in a special format that
> allows software like LISTSERV to automatically take action on incorrect
> addresses; you can safely ignore the numeric codes.
>
> --> Error description:
> Error-for:  [log in to unmask]
> Error-Code: 3
> Error-Text: Domain "206.190.223.6" doesn't exist.
>
> Error-End:  One error reported.

Now, 206.190.223.6 is the same server as wn6.wn.net   Trying to ADD myself
under that e-mail address ([log in to unmask]) failed as well.

Even stranger, I just tried to subscribe myself from the [log in to unmask]
address, recieved confirmation of that subscription request (and a corresponding
message from LISTSERV to the list owner (me at my other address) for approval of
the request), I approved the request to join as indicated in the message I
recieved, and recieved the generic "You have been added to the xxxxxxxxx list"
message to the list-owner e-mail address, but that bounced from the address I
am trying to subscribe.

The error message I am getting from that bounced message is as follows:

>   -----  The following recipients were processed by MTA mail.gnaps.com ...
>
> [log in to unmask]; Action: Failed; Status: 5.4.3 (routing server failure)
>

> Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.gnaps.com
> Received-from-MTA: smtp; anything-balloons.com (206.190.212.184)
> Arrival-Date: 5 Aug 101 00:15:53 -0400
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [log in to unmask]
> Action: Failed

My question, then, is how did I manage to subscribe the address via the
SUBSCRIBE
command, recieve the "Your request to join has been forwarded to the list owner"
message, approve it from a second address, and have everything after that which
is
directed to the first address bounce?  Shouldn't the initial SUBSCRIBE request
have
failed in the first place?  If not, why not?

This problem occurred over a matter of minutes, so I don't believe the problems
are
server related.  Additionally, bounced LISTSERV messages indicate the following:

> The enclosed message, found in the FACEBLIND mailbox and shown under the spool
> ID 262953 in the system log, has  been identified as a possible delivery error
> notice for the following reason:  "Message/Delivery-Status" body part found in
> the message body.
>
> ------------------------ Message in error (46 lines) --------------------------
> Date:       Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:31:19 -0500
> From:       "LSMTP for OpenVMS v1.1a" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:    Undelivered mail
> To:         [log in to unmask]
>
> An error was detected while processing the enclosed message.  A list of
> the affected recipient follows.   This list is in a special format that
> allows software like LISTSERV to automatically take action on incorrect
> addresses; you can safely ignore the numeric codes.
>
> --> Error description:
> Error-for:  [log in to unmask]
> Error-Code: 3
> Error-Text: Domain "WN6.WN.NET" doesn't exist.
>
> Error-End:  One error reported.

Clearly, wn6.wn.net exists.  Just do an average nslookup for it, and
you'll see it really does exist.

If its at all relevant, wn6.wn.net is a server which seems to be in the
process of being phased out (thats my uninformed guess based on other
comments I've recieved from the tech support people from that server and
a sudden lack of functionality which has occurred on the server over the
past few months) and is a DEC Alpha 3000 AXP machine running OpenVMS AXP
version 6.2.

Any ideas you have would be most appreciated, and again, please CC to me
at [log in to unmask] as I'm not presently recieving e-mail
from this list.

Sincerely,
Glenn Alperin