Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:32:05 -0400
At 02:06 PM 10/3/96 +0100, Shahrukh Merchant wrote:
>An article in the Boston Globe of 5 Sep 1996 (originally from the
>Bloomberg Business News) states: "America Online Inc. said it has
>started blocking Internet sites that send mass junk electronic mail
>messages to the company's subscribers."  The article goes on to say that
>this was becoming the leading source of complaints from AOL's customers
>and that the domain operators in question have been uncooperative.
>
>"... The sites that have been blocked include cyberpromo.com [surprise,
>surprise], honeys.com, answerme.com, netfree.com and servint.com."
>
>You may want to consider these as candidate additions to your
>"Filters=". BTW, the article is not clear on whether this is a complete
>list--does anyone know what the complete list is?

An article in Webweek gives the same sites but adds:
Cyberpromo.com, answerme.com & servint.com all belong to Cyber Promotions, inc.
Cyber Promotions has tapped into the AOL member directory and made an
automatic copy of the lists of members screen names.
AOL is investigating wether it will initiate proceedings against the company
for violation of copyright and misappropriation of its consumer list.

My conclusion: Review should be by listowners only.

*  Gilles Frydman <=> [log in to unmask]  *
*               http://www.medinfo.org                  *
*   The Internet Cancer Mailing Lists Archives    *