Mon, 3 Sep 2001 00:32:36 -0500
While my co-owner for one list is away for a month I'm taking care of the
errors and I'm getting a fair amount of items I rarely see on other lists;
systems returning distributed list mail to the list, not listserv, the
list, but not as error messages.  Below was the first I got, the day after
I changed the list header so errors would come to me.  There were 11 of
these, each for a different distributed posting, from several days ago
(Aug. 24). All 11 of these were sent back to the list within a period of
less than one minute.  This one kindly identifies who the original
recipient supposedly was (not currently subscribed, but might have been
then) but I don't know that the exact recipient is important;  suspect the
same would have happened regardless of who the recipient at unity.net was.
So far, haven't gotten any more of these from unity.net

I've always thought these type things were glitches at the offending site
site, rarities.  However, today I got more, from other sites, though these
were sent for current mail;  five from one site (all the positngs of the
day) and two from another.  I'll send along a copy of one from the five
site in another posting.

What is going on here?  Surely these aren't supposed to be error messages,
are they?  As I said, I've seen these on other lists but they've been rare
and I haven't worried about them, but the same sort of thing from three
different sites in two days?  Perhaps I better get a better understanding
of what is going on here.  I'll send the other in a separate posting.
  Douglas

The enclosed message,  found in the MEDLAB-L mailbox and  shown under the spool
ID 27451415 in the system log, has been identified as a possible delivery error
notice for  the following reason: mail  origin is listed in  the "Filter=" list
header keyword (or its default value for the MEDLAB-L list).