Adrianne Schutt <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:37:08 -0500
At 11:08 AM 11/03/2005 -0700, Ben wrote:
>Both suggestions are informative and we appreciate the contributions.
         Most definitely!

>This must be done by someone with Site Administrator
>privileges on LISTSERV and also with direct R/W access to the server (to
>install the exit script/program, modify the necessary files, stop/restart
>LISTSERV, etc.).
         I am actually the server (win2k) admin....but mussing around with
scripts isn't something I'm comfy with.  If we can't get a solution that
normal list owners can do, I'll just break out the whip until I get the
problem subscribers' attention.  It would likely be easier to smooth
feathers all the way around after a spanking than to fix whatever I could
blow up with a script I don't really understand!  :))

>Any further discussion
>of List Exits and the issues surrounding their use should be moved to the
>list  [log in to unmask]  for Site Admins.
         Thanks for the pointer, Ben, I just subscribed to LSTSRV-L.  List
Exits sound a little sledgehammer for a fruit fly problem, but there's
always something else I can learn while I'm there.

         I did try setting up a content filter last night, but it didn't
work when I sent a test message through.  Now that I sit down to write out
step-by-step what I did in hopes that y'all could debug me, I caught my
mistake....a space in "> All" instead of ">All".  AHA!!!!!!!!!!

         Fixed the CONTENT_FILTER, resent the test post, and got a neat
little bounce message.  WOOHOO!!!!  It's not as complete and personable as
Darren's (a beautiful job, BTW!!), but it works, so I'm thrilled!

         Thanks to Rich's hint that some mailers insert spaces with
their >s and some don't, I've gone both ways and included rules for with
and without.  This should take care of the worst offenders nicely.

         Karen, you should be able to do the same thing for your
list.  You're right about the quoted footer criteria not catching people
who quote the entire digest, but maybe using "lines in this issue." could
be useful for that.  It's the first line in every digest, but I don't think
you'll see it much in daily list life.  At any rate, here's what I did, so
that you can copy:

1)  surf in to list admin interface, hit the Templates button, scroll down
the list til you find CONTENT_FILTER, and hit the "Edit Form" button

2)  plunk this in:

Text:: >All List Related Links and Descriptions:
Action: REJECT Please delete excessive quoted text and try again.
Text:: > All List Related Links and Descriptions:
Action: REJECT Please delete excessive quoted text and try again.

3)  change ">All...." and "> All...." to something out of your own footer

4)  change "Please delete excessive quoted text and try again." to whatever
you'd like

5)  hit the "Update" button, and you're done

         Thanks so much for the help, gang....it's WONDERFUL to know that
when I need a hand, there's a group here to help!

         Have a great weekend!
         Ad  ;->
         Admin, Hamtech - The Hammond List
         www.hamtech.org