Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:37:57 -0500
>Actually the vision that Microsoft and Netscape are battling over is that
>email (and indeed all work done on any computer) will always be done in a
>browser frame, and that all email will 'automatically' include integrated
>audio, visuals/graphics, and/or video.  I don't expect to see this
>'problem' going away.  It will get worse.

Given the problems we still have trying to get our subscribers to
configure their software to handle 8-bit or quoted-printable codes so
they can read the accented characters in ISO-LATIN-I, I am not looking
forward to the complaints when they begin receiving HTML, audio, images,
and (God forbid) video that they can't decode.  Not to mention the
mailbox full errors generated when someone decides to attache 25 large
bitmapped images to a post.  Actually, we are already filtering large
messages in an attempt to catch large attachments, and this is working
pretty well.

If I had my druthers, I would prefer being able to route problem
messages through the list editor for appropriate action rather than to
reject them outright.  We try to provide a very high level of support to
our 2500 subscribers (school and university language teachers), most of
whom are tech neophytes.

I suppose mailboxes will have to grow to support email attachments, but
we'll all have to get a second phone line to use during all those
download hours ;-)

Bob
 Robert Ponterio                     | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH               | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum     |_________________________________
 http://www.cortland.edu/www/flteach/