Fri, 29 Apr 1994 09:57:50 -0700
At  2:08 AM 4/29/94 +0000, Aldo-Pier Solari wrote:
>    Dear Seniors
>    I would need some commentaries and critics on the new
>    FISH-ECOLOGY definition [. . . .]
>    Thank you for your expertise,
>    Aldo-Pier.

It would seem to me that there is a significant demand for a less academic
version of your list, to complement the academic one. I would suggest
encouraging the formation of one or more less formal lists.

I can certainly understand your desires to keep clutter to an absolute
minumum, and frustration when somebody asks leading researchers how often
they should change the water in their tank at home.

However, I think it likely that there are some experts who would be willing
to put in an occaisonal word on a separate list (perhpas some graduate
students would be more interested) and probably even more who would be
willing to answer children's questions--but all in a separate forum.

Your involvement in such a project need not be time-comsuming in the least;
you could do as little as ask for volunteers to start such a list and put
them in touch with the network administrators at your site to facilitate
the creation of a new list or two. Of course, you could also do the whole
thing yourself.

In the meantime, you might wish to consider making all your seniors list
editors; that way, they can each post anything any time they want, and
messages other people send get sent to the seniors, instead.

Good luck. I think you have a special opportunity to enhance both the
academic and general communities here, and with almost no effort on your
part.

b&

----
[log in to unmask], Arizona State University School of Music
Protect your privacy; oppose Clipper. Write to me for info.
Finger [log in to unmask] for PGP 2.3a public key.