Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 18:59:21 +0200
On Tue, 7 Jun 1994 12:29:52 EDT Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]> said:

>My proposal  is simple.  Eric, why not  set up a  list where  people can
>subscribe  to  it if  and  only  if they  want  to  receive your  L-Soft
>announcements?

We already have  such a list, LSOFT-ANNOUNCE. The problem  is that people
wouldn't find  out about it  when subscribing  to the other  lists unless
they  read  the subscription  message,  which  most experienced  LISTSERV
people  just discard  as they've  already seen  it hundreds  of time  :-)
Another thing is that we don't  always send the announcements to the same
lists.  For  instance,  we  announced  the VMS  version  of  LISTSERV  on
VMSLSV-L,  a list  created a  long time  ago for  the purpose  of porting
LISTSERV to  VMS (they didn't  actually do it,  but we thought  they'd be
interested  to hear  that someone  else did  ;-) ).  Conversely, not  all
announcements are sent to the LMail lists.

>Further, you could also put L-Soft's announcements on your L-Soft list's
>archive  so  that   people  who  miss  the  initial   posting  of  these
>announcements can get them easily.

The announcements are in the archives  of the LSOFT-ANNOUNCE list and can
be searched with the usual database functions.

>What you  also might alway  want do is to  post a brief  announcement on
>other related lists about the new  L-Soft announcements list and any new
>announcements as those announcements are posted to the L-Soft list.

The  problem here  is that  many people  are subscribed  to the  5 L-Soft
related lists, and would get 5 copies :-) This will only get worse as new
products are introduced, or new  lists started for specific categories of
customers. For instance,  I expect unix LISTSERV sites to  want their own
list where they can discuss  unix-specific problems without being invaded
by (and invading) the VM questions on LSTSRV-L :-)

  Eric