Sun, 26 Feb 1995 23:43:08 -0600
Got a little question here and if the answer is "no, can't be done"
I'm not asking for a code rewrite (this time ;-) ).

I generally don't edit the list logs, as I think they should be
"inviolate," to the extent possible.  If someone asks for an unfortunate
item he sent to be deleted my answer is always "no" (if I won't edit out
my own embarrassing items (and I've got some great ones) I'm not going to
do it for anyone else).  But sometimes some things come through with
artifacts, from whatever source, which cause problems with some people's
mail systems in one way or another.  These I will edit to get rid of the
offending material so it doesn't cause problems with db searches in the
future.

The first of two questions is this: is there a way for me to get the
particular item, using a database search, edit it and put it back in
the log, or do I have to get the entire log, do the editing, and put
it back, which is what I've been doing?

Next, the items causing the problem (digests and db output are truncated
at the same spot) have in common quotes which include overly long
lines (they were marginal in the original but when the quote is added
you no longer have the original line arrangement).  For example:
                 > Blah blah blan...
                 blaaahhh
                 .

                 > New paragraph blah...

Would that, by itself, cause some mailers/editors to truncate the
message at the end of  "blaaahhh?"

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L