Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:48:28 +0100
At 05:35 PM 12/15/98 , you wrote:
>On 15 Dec 98, at 17:15, Jo Hermans wrote:
>
>> I'm very sure that nobody has edited the archives (or it must have been the
>> node admin). The strange part is that the 2 digests which are missing are
>> *not* consecutive : we're missing the one from the 9th and the one from the
>> 14th. This is our header :
>
>Then that seems to indicate a problem with the mail server. Are you
>sure there was mail on the 9th and 14th? Did the digest numbering skip

Yes, I'm sure.

>a number on the 10th and 15th (assuming LISTSERV 1.8d)? Was there

It's Listserv 1.8b, which doesn't number the digests. I scanned the digests
of the 8th and 10th to see if the missing mails were somehow misplaced in
the wrong digest, but I didn't find them.

>perhaps more activity or longer posts than usual on the 9th and 14th,
>making a much larger digest which maybe the mail server doesn't want
>to handle? If so, you may want to add a Digest= keyword in your list
>header to limit the size of the digests for future mailing.

No, those days were pretty normal. I know that there has been very big
problems with bbnplanet.net on Friday (several other mailing lists got
delayed or interrupted), so I thought it was a temporary mail error. I have
used the archive on monday to send several subscribers their digests
(without the index ofcourse). But this morning we noticed that the digest
of yesterday was missing too. The ones of the 10th, 11th, 12th are ok.

>To get any farther, you really need to get the LISTSERV admin involved,
>to find out what the LISTSERV logs say about the missing digests.

I'm still waiting for his reply.

>Francoise

---
Jo Hermans, System Administrator DINF, VUB University, Brussels
[log in to unmask]                http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo/
Tel : +32-2-629.38.19               Fax : +32-2-629.35.25

Listmom (sic) of Blues-L  [log in to unmask] or bit.listserv.blues-l
Maintains the Benelux Blues Scene   http://blues.vub.ac.be/