Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:39:19 +0000
> user the cookie is for and have the LISTSERV maintainer at the site
> in question do a PWC DELETE to get rid of the user's password.  Then
> the next time someone tries to log in, the cookie doesn't work and
> you get the login screen.

Ouch.

> Quite frankly, IMHO this is a major browser problem (the inability
> to easily edit/delete existing cookies) and the only thing that
> makes it a LISTSERV problem is that people are setting cookies when

could be.. but a lot of people don't even realize cookies are set I
think. or what that means.

I know with the older version of LISTSERV this wasn't a problem and
I'm wondering since it is now.. and since this version is still a
beta.. that it might be worth the effort to place a "change your
password" or something option?

> they shouldn't be.  Francoise is right, users in clusters or
> otherwise shared computers simply shouldn't set cookies.

I agree, but they do.. and the next person pays for it.  So the
question for LSOFT in the development of this exciting new version of
LISTSERVE may be..  how to deal with those facts effectively.

> Note that getting rid of cookies.txt <should> work but that at least
> in my case, there are two copies of cookies.txt (NS 3.01 Gold), one

did that on mine, didn't work.. but I'll do as you suggested and look
for other cookies.txt. I'm using Netscape 3.0 I think.

 ........Cleo  [log in to unmask]