Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:50:09 -0600
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Paul Russell wrote:
> I do not know how you define "large", but we host nearly 40,000 lists on
> our LISTSERV server, which is managed by the same group that manages our
> central mail servers. We have seperate mailboxes for [log in to unmask]
> and [log in to unmask], but the same folks check both mailboxes.

All I can say is that at the sites where my lists are hosted, sites which
host thousands of list, the email folk are one thing, and the LISTSERV
folk are a totally different thing, and the LISTERV folk have nothing to
do with email processing, per se.  The LISTSERV administrator is at the
mercy of the email folk.

> The output of the 'release' or 'show version' command includes the visible
> postmaster address(es) for the server. Output from a 'release' command sent
> to [log in to unmask] is appended below.

Yes, but, one has to get past the central email system for the LISTSERV
system to get the pertinent commands.  If you can't get past the email
system, you can't send commands to LISTSERV at that site, can you?
(This refers to loc.gov rejecting all mail from my site, an earlier
discussion; not resolved yet, but loc.gov is still the *ONLY* site which
rejects email from ccsi.com.)

Pete Weiss suggested I try [log in to unmask], which I will from another address,
thank you.  I can't check on anything pertaining to loc.gov from this
address.

I don't know, but LSOFT folk might be interested in what I have been
reporting about loc.gov, the US Library of Congress.  If folk can't post to
the lists, if they can't maintain their LISTSERV subscriptions, etc., at LC
due to some requirement which is not used by anyone else (I'm talking about
the mail system here), and one cannot, from another address which loc.gov
does not reject out of hand, contact the LISTSERV administrator at LC using
the generic "listserv-request" address, I would think LSOFT would be
interested.

I consider "listserv-request" to be a generic address, useable for ALL
listserv addresses.  I mean, that is the sort of thing I tell my
subscribers, all genuine LISTSERV lists, and host site, work this way.
Once you have the address to the right of the @, just plug in the
appropriate portion on the left, works that way for ALL LISTSERV sites.
If some sites can get away with not using the standard, LISTSERV userids
for particular functions it causes a problem.  I don't want to tell folk
that it always works except for this at that site, and another at some
other, then a third  at whatsit site, etc.

Generic addresses such as  listserv-request  should work at ALL LISTSERV
sites, no question or quibble; it should be part of the licensing contract.

Douglas Winship    [log in to unmask]