Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:53:42 -0500
>On Tue, 22 Nov 1994 11:17:03 -0500 I said:
>>>Pleasee listserv for some
>>>strange reason recorded an inaccurate address for me -- [log in to unmask]
>>>instead of [log in to unmask]  Consequently, the listserv will not accept
>>>any further commands from me.
>>
>>I received this from a subscriber this morning.  He's correct about the way
>>his address (initials altered to protect his privacy) was stored by
>>LISTSERV.  Was the experience an aberration or a glitch?

On Tue, 22 Nov 94 09:42:06 PST, Melvin Klassen replied
>I would tend to favour "user-error",
>i.e., he misconfigured his desk-top system into writing the ID
>in the form [log in to unmask] into the "FROM:" line of outgoing E-mail.

I had the user try subscribing again.  LISTSERV stored the address
correctly.  Hence, there may have been a temporary glitch in the mail
configuration at Pitt that was responsible for the original problem.  The
user wanted to unsubscribe and was definately getting listmail, hence
sending to either [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] appears to work (for the
moment)... curious (maybe Pitt.Edu decided to change the address form
somewhere along the way and continues to alias the old form for now?  If
that's what's happening, we can expect to hear from Pitt.Edu subscribers
from time to time as they discover they are unable to access their LISTSERV
subscriptions).

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax