Thu, 8 Feb 2001 01:55:17 -0600
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:
> A question I posted about archiving appears to have fallen into a
> black hole. Forgive my persistance, but I'm stuck.

I noted your first item, but, well, was busy, someone else will answer it,
etc., . . .  Now guilt for not answering it at the time, as I have learned
what little I know through asking "dumb" newbie questions.  In years I
suppose I am no longer a newbie but I still consider myself so and still
ask "dumb" questions on the list.

In your first post you mentioned using the INDEX command to try to see
the postings in the notebooks.  The INDEX command will give you a listing
of the files in the filelist (catalog these days).  If you have a filelist
established the notebook logs will be listed at the end of the INDEX
output and you can order the individual logs with a GET command.  But
you must have a filelist for the list established first.

Note that the filelist (catalog) and the notebooks (archives) are not the
same thing.  Everything in the filelist must be placed there, nothing
automatic about it.  The filelist is where you put your "welcome"  and
"farewell" files, if you have such separate from the default .mailtpl
items.  The listowner of TEFL-L took (takes?) the postings of the list and
periodically makes/made a file of them which he places(d) in the TEFL-L
filelist, from which you may GET them.

The filelist must be established explicitly by the LISTSERV administator
at the host site.  If I recall your first posting correctly, it indicates
you do not have a filelist established for your list.  You cannot
establish a filelist with the list header, it isn't linked to the
notebooks, the site administrator has to create it for you.

You can always search the notebooks(archives), not the same thing as the
filelist(catalog) with an email SEARCH or via the list's web inteface, if
it has one.  Say, for instance, you wanted all the postings with the date
of Feb. 1, 2001 (note that that is the date given in the postings, not the
date the list distributed them, makes a difference if it is a global
list). You could send to the LISTSERV site of your list
s * in LISTNAME from 01/2/1 to 01/2/1

if you wanted two dates worth, keeping in mind that only the first
100 hits will be reported, you could send
s * in LISTNAME from 01/2/1 to 01/2/2

That is likely enough confusuion for now.  Important thing is
do not confuse the notebooks(archives) with the filelist(catalog) and,
if you don't have a filelist the site LISTSERV administrator has to
establish it for you.

(See, Pete, I didn't mention FUI/AFD once.  ;-)    )

Douglas