Daniel Kropveld <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:06:42 +0100
Hello

First let me introduce myself. I am the co-listowner of SCOUTS-NL,
a Dutch Scouting discussion list of about 250 subscribers.
The list is 2 years old, and many subscribers are students who have a
school account. There is an average of 10 emails a day.

Much of the postings on Scouts-NL are well worth keeping, so I started
making a FAQ. Ie a 'games FAQ', 'leadership FAQ', 'Summercamp FAQ', etc.
But it is becoming too voluminous. I even split it up in
subjects, but it keeps on growing.

The new database functions of LISTERV could make FAQ-maintainers-life
much easier.

Below is a model of what I thought could be an entirely new setup of my FAQ:
-----------------
Materials FAQ
GETPOST SCOUTS-NL <many numbers>

Campstoves
GETPOST SCOUTS-NL <subset of numbers>

Tents
GETPOST SCOUTS-NL <other subset of numbers>
(etc)
------------------
Then all the user should do is cut and paste the relevant GETPOST command
and send it to LISTERV.

That way it saves me from duplicating much of the database content,
and it might be easier to maintain the digest: all I have to do is add
and delete the 'getpost-numbers'.

So what I would want to know if anyone else had been thinking about
this, or actually has done it. Please your comments, will this work
or is it better to stick to the more classical type of FAQ.

BTW our host site (SurfNet.nl) does not maintain a Web database.

And then a 2nd question, how do I obtain the serial number ('getpost
number') from a regular posting of my list? It does seem to be
documented anywhere, and I cannot find it in the header either.

Thanks for any help,
Daniel Kropveld, co-listowner of Scouts-NL