Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:27:12 -0400
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Adam O'Toole wrote:

>My boss has asked me to remove a frivolous post from our
>list's web archive.
>
>I know I'm post-moderating, but this has to do with how
>we are using Listserv in our organization.
>
>I usually just use GET and PUT commands to deal with such
>issues, but the LOG file in question is about 2 MB in size.
>
>My email client, Outlook 2K, can happily send up to 1 MB
>of plaintext in the email body. I can't find any way to
>increase this threshold, at least on the client side, so that
>I can send a larger file.
>
>I have been granted access to our listserv server, and can
>now edit files directly. The machine is running 1.8e on a
>Windows 2000 platform.
>
>Is there a procedure for safely editing the LOG file directly?
>I am concerned that the HTML index will not be refreshed
>if I do so, or that I will run in to some other difficulty. If it
>is possible, I'd rather do this than investigate using alternative
>email clients to PUT my edited file.

I have never done this, but it seems to me you should put the list in
question on hold before you start to edit the list's log file. Then make a
copy of the log file before you modify it. Keep the copy out of Listserv's
search path. Delete the list.ind* file that correspond with this list's
log file, then edit the file and save it. Then get and put the file so
that Listserv rebuilds the html links to the messages in that log file.
This should do it.