Sun, 12 May 1996 00:28:47 -0500
> >If you want to let some of the stuff through but get rid of the flames
> >so things can cool down a bit (maybe), you could change it to Send= Editor
> >with Editor= owner (or another address).  Then free the list.  The stuff
> >that's in the queue from whenever the hold went on will be sent for approval,
> >except your stuff which will go straight through.
>
> On Sat, 11 May 1996, Mark Drake wrote:
> I tried this.  The 15 messages in the queue went on through without waiting
> for approval.  Howver, there wasn't anything too bad so it wasn't a
> problem.  I will leave it this way for a few days to see what happens.

This might not work when LISTSERV puts on the hold due to exceeded
threshold, don't know.  I've only used it when *I* have imposed the hold.
Something to try next time just to see.

Also, precisely how the header was set up before the hold and how you
rewrite it before you free the list is crucial.  I consider this stuff to
be last ditch, emergency work (if it works, great, if it doesn't, well, I
tried). Given that, when I try something like this I basically totally
rewrite the list header, getting rid of all but one onwer address, being
very careful of keywords which might refer to other keywords, etc.  It
helps a lot when pulling stunts like this to have multiple accounts to
which you have access, gives a lot more flexibility.  Just be sure you get
that one owner= correct or you could have a very peeved colistowner and an
even more peeved listserv administrator who will have to fix it for you.
Makes me nervous, but I do it somtimes and haven't messed up yet. One of
these days, though......

Douglas