Anthea Tillyer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 08:52:07 EDT
My question is about the daily threshold and what happens to the messages
that are held by LISTSERV once the daily threshold has been reached:

I have the extreme misfortune to own a large (3,800 +) academically-oriented
list. In the past, most discussion on it has been relatively academic and
relevant to the stated purpose of the list, and the average of postings each
day was about 25 - 30.  However, two things have happened recently: the
number of postings has increased explosively and their pedagogical value has
declined precipitously.  In fact, about 85% of our postings are worthless.

(Please do not suggest a moderated or edited list....that is out of the
question for reasons of philosophy and time)

Which brings me to the daily threshold.  Ours has been at the default (50
a day). The recent activity on the list has caused us to hit the threshold
and significantly exceed it about 3/4 the time in the last 3 weeks. I have
always issued a "FREE" command and the held messages have been released.

But supposing I DON'T issue the "FREE" command? What happens to the held
messages?  Do they get held over to the next day (and added to that day's
total)? Do they get discarded at the end of the day?

If the held messages are simply discarded when no "FREE" command is issued,
I think that I might have the solution to our "list-pollution" problem! I
would like to hear from owners who have some experience with this.  Here is
my idea:  Rather than RAISE the daily threshold to accommodate the increased
traffic, how about LOWERING it?

Since many of our members complain bitterly about the large message traffic
and the low level of substance on the list, I feel that lowering the threshold
and announcing it to the members might cause people to think more carefully
before posting and then to post only that which will add to our knowledge or
understanding of our field.  I am hoping that people who use up the low
threshold will be flamed into compliance!

One additional note: the situation with my list is complicated further in that
it is supported by a large federal grant, so continued postings of totally
irrelevant garbage can easily jeopardize the continued financial support of the
list. I personally wouldn't mind because I am ready to throw in the towel
anyway, but I think that it would hurt many members who have legitimate
academic interest in the stated purpose of the list and who are pained by its
current gutter level.

Peace,
Anthea Tillyer           City University of New York    [log in to unmask]