Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:38:42 EST
On Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:52:45 +0200 Eric Thomas said:

>There  is now  a draft  Internet standard  for a  delivery error  message
>format.  People are  implementing  it little  by little  and  it will  be
>supported in version 1.8c.
>
>  Eric
   Hurrah!   As the non-technie listowner of a large and active
list distributed in 30 countries, I am quite tired of the variations
in delivery error message format.  Some (a few) are very specific and
informative), most give me some useable information but I may have to
dig for it, and a few tell me nothing that I don't already know, that
this message sent to this subscriber bounced!   Often just determining
which is the problem subscription is a chore.   If the new standard
will identify the subscriber and the type of problem involved, in a
standard form and in a specified place in the error message, I might
think that Listowner Nirvana had been achieved.   I am probably being
too optimistic about what the new standard can provide, even if most
sites adopt it, but hope does spring eternal.

    Judith Hopkins
       Listowner of Autocat     [log in to unmask]