"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Apr 1992 15:11:06 CDT
> For your node (MSSTATE), its BITNET link is connected **directly** to the
> University of Georgia, and UGA **is** one of the major BITNET-to-Internet
> gateways.  So, most E-mail to you will take the bus to UGA, and then either
> continue on the bus to your node, or take the limousine to your node.

I know.

> How the limousine can be "days" faster than the bus on the **same**
> (since your BITNET link is actually a BITNET-over-Internet link) road
> is a question which I can't answer!

I can't either, but I can show you examples of bitnet mail that reached
me a WEEK later than internet mail from the same site.  One problem is
that our bitnet link is often down.  But even when it's up, my internet
mail to and from UGA is much faster than my bitnet mail.  Example:  One
of the lists I own at UGA is held; I first send the 'free' command via
interactive bitnet; then I send it via internet mail; I receive the
files released; I then receive an interactive bitnet response saying
that the list is not held (because the internet mail got to the listserv
and freed the list before the interactive bitnet command got there,
even though I sent the bitnet command first).  My local guru once
explained to me why internet goes faster than bitnet between here and
UGA even though they're traveling together -- it has something to do
with how bitnet is catching a second-class ride on the internet link.
I don't remember the exact details since they were above my non-techy
head.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])