Connie Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:52:02 -0500
In regards to the LISTSERV (R) trademark, I will lay down the law
for you according to the U.S. Patent and Tradmark Office :-)

Using the term LISTSERV in any other way except as the name of
our software is a violation.  Under no circumstances can it be used
to generically describe mailing lists.  This includes "listserve"
because it is the phonetic equivalent of the trademarked term.

According to the Chicago Style Book, in journalism it is acceptable
to write the product name as Listserv, with the (R) symbol.

Thanks to Dan as usual for his contribution to the public awareness
of the trademark :-)

Best regards,

Connie Newman
L-Soft

> My own followup already.  Another member of this brand X list says that
> "listserve" can be used, as it is spelled differently.  I believe that
> again the Kimberly Clark folks would object to Kleenexx as well.  L-Soft??
>
> dan
>

> At 10:52 AM 4/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >I've just informed people on a non-LISTSERV mailing list that they should
> >not use the term referrring to a generic mailing list.  They replied that
> >the trademark is only on it in all upper case, and that using it in lower
> >case is not protected.  I believe this is incorrect, but would appreciate
> >some official wording from LISTSERV regarding this.  After all, I believe
> >Xerox cares, whether you use Xerox, XEROX, xerox, or any other
> >form...they're all protected.
> >
> >Official word I can pass along?
> >
> >dan
> >
> >--
> >Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
> >Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165
> >[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/
> >http://library.boisestate.edu/   http://www.lili.org/
> >http://www.postcard.org/
>
> --
> Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
> Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165
> [log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/
> http://library.boisestate.edu/   http://www.lili.org/
> http://www.postcard.org/

Connie Newman <[log in to unmask]>