Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Joe Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:13:35 -0700
text/plain (39 lines)
Hello,

In my new position, I have inherited 8 mailaing lists and no backup/recovery process!  I am new to LSoft product and hope someone can help me with specific instructions for backup / recovery.

Currently, our release is: LISTSERV(R) Lite for unix version 1.8e.

While I manage the lists, our network engineers have access to the Unix box housing the LSoft software and list files.

We use our mailing lists to send out notices and communications to between 50 and 2000 recepients.  Members are not allowed to send messages to the lists, but we do keep an archive of all the messages.

Thanks for your patience!  Now, come the questions, for which I could not easily locate instructions in the documentation or archives of the discussion groups.

What is the "best practice" was of backing up the files (the specification, member list, welcome/departure messages, archives, etc.) related to the various mailing lists, so that we can recover after a complete failure or port the lists to another server running the LSoft application:

A. From can/should the Server Manager (unix) do?
    Are there specific directories that need to be backed up?

B. What can/should the List Owner do?
      I tried:
            GET list1
            INFO list1
            INDEX list1
            UNLOCK list1

I believe I have the file to rebuild the base of the list and the members (from GET), but I am not certain if that is all I would need. Does that preserve all user information, preferences, and their signon date?

The INDEX command returned: "This server does not have any file by the name "list1.filelist", but I know there is a welcome and farewell message that users get and suspect there might be other things set up.

Also, I could not figure out how to get the archives for backup perpose.

Thanks.

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software

ATOM RSS1 RSS2