Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:18:59 -0500
The fact that you cannot imagine a situation in which you would want to prevent
subscribers from leaving a list does not mean that those situations do not
exist. Perhaps Steve is managing a list for an employer that requires all
employees to be subscribed to the list. Perhaps he is managing a list for a
school that requires all students to be subscribed to the list. Obviously, there
is no way to force subscribers read the messages from the list, or to prevent
them from creating filters to delete messages from the list, but that does not
mean that the individuals who ignore those messages will not be required to
know the content of those messages. The fact you can create a filter to delete
email messages containing policy updates from your employer's HR department does
not mean that those policies do not apply to you.

This question comes up on the LSTSRV-L list from time to time, and inevitably
someone will suggest locking the list, or performing periodic updates. Neither
of these solutions unconditionally meet the requirements outlined in the
question.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team