Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 May 2003 18:55:30 -0400
Lisa Baas wrote:
> So you can't always rely on the
> information you find in the headers and with spam you can almost never
> rely on it.

Correct.  I probably should have mentioned that.  However, I generally
trust headers that are written by our own systems.  The Sendmail on our
servers shows not only what the previous system -called- itself in its
HELO (or EHLO) but also the IP address it appears to actually be coming
from.  At least that's my understanding.  If the message appears to
have gone through several unknown systems before getting to ours, that
gets real messy in a hurry.

> A great free tool for analyzing headers and identifying those
> that are likely forged is SamSpade. It's a Windows program

We do have some Windows users so I'll keep that in mind.  ;-)

There is also spamcop.net but I don't know much about them, other than
that I've referred people to http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html
for help in seeing the full headers of an email.

Margaret