Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 May 2005 14:59:28 -0400
I'm not sure what part of the LISTSERV software package this actually occurs in,
but I wanted to let somebody know about this so that maybe it can be addressed,
and if it has been addressed already, if somebody could please enlighten me
on how to fix this with the appropriate list header option.

E-mail messages which come through my list with the format of

have a nasty problem where they seem to get distributed to all members of my e-mail=20
list just like I am intentionally typing this paragraph, with the end of every line=20
of text having that useless and annoying and making-it-difficult-to-read "=20"=20
combination of characters.  This can occur with the use of so-called smart-quotes=20
or any number of other nasty characters.

In my recent review of the LISTSERV documentation, I noticed that there is a
Translate= keyword which would seem to address this, if I've read it correctly.
The default, however, is listed as "Translate= Yes" which, according to the
documentation, means that I shouldn't have to set it for it to work correctly.

My list is being hosted on a machine running LISTSERV 1.8d, so I may not have
this option at this time anyway.  If there is any other way to fix this other
than giving incessant reminders to my subscribers to send in "plain text",
some of whom are not very technically savvy, could somebody please let me know
about it?

Glenn Alperin

P.S.  I am not currently a subscriber to this list, so a personal e-mail reply
would be greatly appreciated.