Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:09:06 -0500
On 8 Nov 2005 at 19:42, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> SUBSCRIPTION= OPEN,CONFIRM
> DEFAULT-OPTIONS= REVIEW
>
> Later, as appropriate:
>
> QUIET SET listname NOREVIEW FOR probation_subscriber

Yes, except that if the user is harassing people who post to the list
by sending them private emails, it doesn't help much.

What I've done in the past is to give the harasser a warning, and
then if he continues his bad behavior, removed him from the list and
added him to the filter as you suggest below:

> Depending upon the ISP, userid, etc of problem subscriber, list keyword
>
> FILTER= ALSO,problem_subcriber
>
> Wildcard notation will work too.

I generally do a pretty thorough Web search to find all known email
addresses for the offender and add those to the filter too.

Of course that doesn't prevent the offender from getting a new free
email account, so I also send an email to the list reminding them in
general about the list rules, and in particular pointing out that if
they get harassed privately by someone who got their address because
they posted to the list, that is also against the rules and they
should report it to me. (Then they typically come out of the woodwork
-- for every one that complains to the list owner, there are 10 that
do nothing or just leave the list without telling anyone). After that
reminder to the list, they are generally more forthcoming and if they
start getting harassed from a different email address, they report it
immediately.

If the harassment continues, it may be time to bring in law
enforcement. Cyber-bullying is serious stuff and some cyber-predators
will actually travel great distances to get physically at their prey.
(Child sexual predators often do, and I bet other types of predators
do too).

If the harasser is actually at the University, you should contact the
University administration and/or security.

--
Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html