Djamal Bouzida <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 13:45:42 -0400
To whom it may concern:

I would like to request a possible new server for the Amazigh-Net
mailing list ([log in to unmask]) which is due to lose its
address at the end of the current academic year (August 1993).

Amazigh-Net is a forum for discussion on issues related to the
Amazigh (Berber) language and culture.  The discussion is in Tamazight,
English, or French.  Various Amazigh words or expressions are explained
in other languages.  We also discuss the variation in the Language
from one Amazigh ethnic population to another.

The mailing list is one year old, and as the listowner, have read every
single message posted since its creation.  It is also unmoderated, so
any mail that is sent is automatically duplicated and sent to the
subscribers.  I have kept a copy of every message that was posted.  The
load is not high at all, but the quality of some messages is quite high,
and the atmosphere is very friendly.  The number of subscribers, many of
which are fluent in Tamazight, is currently 95.

I have done some statistics which I am sending you here:

    Month        Number of Messages   Messages/Day
7/15 - 7/31/92          113                 7
   08/92                 63                 2
   09/92                 98                 3
   10/92                166                5-6
   11/92                156                 5
   12/92                148                 5
   01/93                 44                1-2
   02/93                 81                2-3
   03/93                 59                 2
   04/93                107                3-4
   05/93                 40                1-2
   06/93                 72                 2
7/1/93 - present         39                 3

                       total             average
7/15/92 - present       983              3 / day

The guidelines that are sent to every prospective member who shows interest
in joining are appended below.  The only requirement is a self-intro which,
of course, can be changed according to the new server's requirements.

Concerning the listownership, I would welcome anyone providing the server
as a co-owner, or even as the owner if s/he understands Tamazight (Berber).
Tamazight is my native tongue and I would be very glad to help any way I can.

I hope I have provided all the information.  Please let me know if you
have any questions.  Time is running out, and any help is very well
appreciated.

Best regards,

Djamal Bouzida

Listowner
Amazigh-Net.

-------------------------------------
Amazigh Network Goals and Guidelines:
-------------------------------------

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

Amazigh-Net is a forum for  discussions  on any issue  related  to the
Amazigh language, history, and culture.  The goals  of  Amazigh-Net is
to promote and preserve the Amazigh culture and language. It is  hoped
that this network will serve as a factor in order to create a constant
and cohesive effort towards giving Tamazight  and the  Amazigh culture
the international status they deserve.

Membership to  Amazigh-Net is  open to everyone who agrees with stated
goals.   A self-introduction, including the  full name, the country of
origin,  how  the  prospective  member heard  about  Amazigh-Net,  and
his/her   goal(s)   for   joining,  is  *required*.   Questioning  the
personalities, characters, and integrity of  the  netters  is  NOT the
goal  of Amazigh-Net.   Some  netters are  members  because  they  are
linguists, or researchers in the field.  Their genuine interest in the
language  and  culture  makes  them  eligible  too.   It  is  not  the
responsibility of Amazigh-Net or its caretakers to impose any rules or
standards on  the members  of  the  net on  how they  can promote  the
Amazigh  culture.  Personal and  private matters  between  two or more
members  should not  be  the  subject  of  discussion on  the  Amazigh
Network.

All rules of conduct on  USENET DO APPLY ON AMAZIGH-NET.  If you would
like a copy of these rules, please send mail to the following address:

Of most concern is  the rule for posting private e-mail correspondence
without  the permission  of  the  original  sender.  It is  reiterated
explicitly  in  these  guidelines so  that  it  is very clear to every
member of Amazigh-Net:

"   IT  IS  GENERALLY   CONSIDERED   RUDE  TO  POST   PRIVATE   E-MAIL
CORRESPONDENCE WITHOUT THE PERMISSION  OF  THE  AUTHOR  OF  THAT MAIL.
FURTHERMORE,  UNDER  COPYRIGHT STATUTES,  THE  AUTHOR  OF  THE  E-MAIL
POSSESSES A COPYRIGHT  ON MAIL THAT HE OR SHE WROTE; POSTING IT TO THE
NET OR MAILING IT ON TO  OTHERS WITHOUT  PERMISSION OF  THE  AUTHOR IS
LIKELY A VIOLATION OF THAT COPYRIGHT AS WELL AS BEING RUDE. "

Any member who  fails  to follow  these  guidelines  will be privately
reminded by the  committee.  He/she may be  warned or removed from the
list depending on the severity of the infraction.  We'd like very much
to put aside our differences (hopefully, most of  us  don't have  any)
for  the good of  the Amazigh  community throughout the  globe.  Right
now, this net is  at an  experimental stage, and  petty issues  may do
more harm than good to its primary goals.

Hope to hear from you soon on the Amazigh Network.

Best regards,
Amazigh-Net Committee.

                Amazigh-Net (Self-Introduction)

FIRST NAME:

LAST NAME:

E-MAIL:

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:

How did you hear about Amazigh-Net:

Your Goals for joining Amazigh-Net:

Other Comments:

Djamal Bouzida                            E-mail: [log in to unmask]