Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:41:47 -0600
At 05:24 PM 8/27/1997 -0400, Francoise Becker wrote:
>On 27 Aug 97 at 16:42, M. Leblanc wrote:
>
>> I've contacted [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
>> yesterday and last night. Haven't heard anything.
>
>I'm just guessing here, but keep in mind that the end of August is
>generally a very busy time of year for university computer centers
>and I wouldn't be surprised if they're understaffed and things like
>gateways are given low priority. Just remembering what it was like
>when I worked at a University Computer Center :-)

Indeed.  If American is even a tenth as hassled as we are at idbsu.edu at
the moment, I'd not be replying either.  It is also a time when systems are
prone to go down, especially since there are usually new things running on
them (esp. admin systems or mail systems), and loads are at max with
registration, bill paying, confirmation, whatever.  And of course most
folks would like to get a check this Friday too.  o-)

All of this is a small part of why I've killed all gateways for my lists.
Other reasons abound as well.  No, I'm not twisting arms....I know many
have real needs....but it IS worth thinking about.  I doubt there is anyone
who has netnews these days who can't get email from a list.....on digest if
they have problems.

dan, disgusted with Netscape's new name for Usenet/Netnews/Newsgroups
gag choke barf

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534