Mark Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:45:19 -0700
At 11:40 AM -0700 on 4/24/98, Philo wrote:

> Where is this hosted? What is the newsgroup it's gated to? My
> newsgroup/list at American is dying because of some kind of
> misconfiguration, and the sysadmin (as alluded to earlier) doesn't see
> lists/news as a priority.
>
> I really want to move it- where can I go?
>
> Philo

I was describing things before the American.edu gateway started going
downhill.  My newsgroup is dying, too, now.

*

It occurred to me that all the moderated newsgroups on the usenet had to be
able to put mail on the newsgroup, so I went looking to see how they do it.
From what I can tell, they set up a unix account as a moderation address.
Articles posted to the newsgroup gets sent to that address as email.  Then
they have scripts running in that account that handle the articles - adding
the approval to the header, making sure the header is usenet OK, etc.  They
they insert it into the local news server.  Since it has the approval
header, it is distributed normally.

So, from what I can tell, it just takes a unix account with access to a
news server, and someone who is unix aware, and you can have your own
gateway.

Mark

--
Mark Drake   [log in to unmask]