Elizabeth Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:59:01 -0400
It turns out that my hateful email software is indeed splitting my line
lengths.  Thanks for steering me that way -- it's hell to locate where the
value is set, so I've been doing my listserv testing from an id on a unix
machine that at least has a mailer that preserves my lines as typed.

We have some long list names, and management wants to preserve the ability
to have list names as long as they like.  Well, not with listserv, they
can't.  Not if you can only create lists with job control files that have
100 as a maximum number of characters.

But it's less than 100.  Let's count down.
PUT [# of characters in listname].LIST PW=[# of characters in password]
     or
100-(13+length of password)

So 86 (or, more reasonably, 80) is the maximum number of characters in a
list name.  But maybe even that's optimistic.

I'm new at this, and I'm not familiar with all the listserv commands that a
user, owner, or manager might send.  Are there any that use the name of the
list in the message body that might bump up against that 100-character
limit as well?

Thanks again.

cheers, Elizabeth

Elizabeth Poole              [log in to unmask]
Collaborative Computing - Watson I/S
T.J.Watson Research Center   tieline:  /862-3045,  external:  914-945-3045
PO Box 218, Yorktown Heights NY 10598