Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 May 1994 02:23:15 -0500
Has anyone else had problems with people abusing the REVIEW command for
mass mailing?  We have a character on one of my lists (currently
Send=Editor, i.e. moderated) who wanted to post a long (over 300 lines)
poem that was written centuries ago (hence he assumed was public domain)
but was translated into English (hence probably copyrighted).  I wrote
to him asking that he verify the copyright status before I posted it to
the list.  He wrote back somthing about "listserv fascists", downloaded
the subscription list with the REVIEW command, and sent it out to all
425 people around the planet, accompanied by a long diatribe against the
list owners and detailed instructions (including a c shell script!) as
to how anyone could do the same.  All in the name of "free speech".

I have since set REVIEW=By_Owner, but that's a little like closing the
proverbial barn door after the horse is loose.  I wrote to the
postmaster at his site (netcom.com) [should I have addressed it to root?]
notifying her/him of the situation, and wrote to the person outlining my
feelings about it all and suggesting he clean up his act.

We lost one subscriber within a few hours, saying she didn't want her
mailbox full of such stuff.  Hopefully we won't lose many more.  The
irony is that even UNSUB won't protect her from future mailings from him
from the same list of addresses!

Anyone have any brilliant suggestions as to what to do in this case,
besides the actions we've already taken.  Once he has the list, no
action using listerv software can prevent his mailings.  Several people
have already written to him to complain, and hopefully peer pressure
will prevail!

--
Bruce P. A. Dienes                     Beware the iniquitous Disk Trolls!
Internet: [log in to unmask]