Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:23:09 -0500
>Can someone please tell me what the "respect" option means for header keyword
>Reply-to.

the "respect" option intheReply-to header keyword has the following
definition:

If there is a Reply-To header in the e-mail message sent to the list, then
any reply to that message (unless the To: field is manually changed by the
person replying) will go to the reply-to address.

If there is no reply-to address in the e-mail message, then all replies to
the message will go back to thelist.

For example, if I sent a message to a list with Reply-To= list, respect
and somebody replied to my message, since I do not have any reply-to
address set up on my e-mail programI am curently using (to my knowledge),
any reply to my messages to that list will go back to the list.

If, on the other hand, I had a reply-to field of [log in to unmask]
(something I'm prone to do in the hopes that usenet spammers will
eventually be caught but which I have no reason to do via e-mail) and I
sent a message to a listserv list, with
reply-to= list, respect
and somebody tried to reply directly to me instead of to the list with
their e-mail program, my inserted address of [log in to unmask] would be
the destination address of their reply.

The preceding paragraph also assumes that your list subscribers are not
using brain-dead e-mail programs.  Many e-mail programs do not support the
reply-to: header in e-mail messages, and I'm pretty darn sure that mail
(the version on an OpenVMS operating system which I am currently using)
does not have a reply-to address set by default, and I do not know whether
it follows the standards adequately.  All-In-1, an assortment of
applications which includes an e-mail package, also for the OpenVMS
operating system, definitely does not support any reply-to headers,
although it does recognize that they exist.  (not very RFC compliant on
anything at all, let alone reply-to headers)

Hope this helps.

Glenn

--
One who refuses to speak has refused to have a voice.
One who refuses to have a voice will surely be forgotten.

Glenn Alperin