Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 May 1992 12:54:07 MST
On Fri, 15 May 1992 11:21:39 PDT Richard Childers said:
>"One of our list owners here at UCSB would like to know if it is possible to
> link his list and an Internet news group together.  Does anyone know if
> this can be done and if so how?"
>
>It can. See below.

   Although I am sure that all the technical details described are
correct, if one simply wants his/her listserv list to have a bidirectional
gateway to the bit.listserv.listname hierarchy on Usenet, then it takes
just a couple messages to set it up with [log in to unmask]  AUVM is kind
enough to gateway a couple hundred or so lists.  Three of my five are
now on the Usenet side, and some traffic does come from that side of the
universe.
   If you follow the auvm route, there will simply be a subscription placed
on behalf of the gateway, which you could always delete if you ever got
too many obnoxious problems from that part of the world.  It has NOT happened
to mine, but I've heard of a few problems on some list, including cdrom-l
recently.

   Of course if you want your list to be gatewayed to an established
Usenet group, or you want to have one that is not in the bit.listserv.
hierarchy, then I believe you have to go through the Usenet balloting
and such.  But for that you need someone else to give a definitive answer.

dan   (owner of advanc-l, arie-l, cdromlan, circplus, postcard, all at idbsu)

* Dan Lester                          Bitnet:   alileste@idbsu              *
* Associate University Librarian      Internet: [log in to unmask]    *
* Boise State University                                                    *
* Boise, Idaho  83725                 BSU and I have a deal: I don't speak  *
* 208-385-1234                        for them and they don't speak for me. *