Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:58:17 EDT
<[log in to unmask]> Glenn Alperin wrote:

>>>Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:18:50
>>>
>>>Mailing List  Distribution <[log in to unmask]> has  just subscribed
>>>to the HWY61-L list (The Bob Dylan Discussion List).
>
>Looks to me like an address harvester for spam usage.  They have probably
>already unsubscribed from your list after issuing a review of your list.
>(either that or somebody is looking to get somebody's list spammed very
>badly as now any messages sent to your list will wind up on the other
>list(s) as well...)
>
>In any event, it doesn't look very thrilling.  I would repond by unsubbing
>them and setting your list to filter that address, assuming it is still
>subscribed.
>
>Glenn

Hi Glenn.

In general, what you've written is often true so ...
I wrote to them and rec'd this back:

:>
:> "Mailing List Distribution"
:>
:> Please tell me more about yourselves.
:
:Hi Maureen,
:
:We map mailing lists to local newsgroups for the benefit of local
:users, unless the mailing list charter makes privacy assertions like
:"women only".  We don't redistribute off-site, or build an archive
:automatically,
:
:However I now realise that HWY61-L is gated with rec.music.dylan,
:so there is not much point to us gating HWY61-L to a local group.
:I'll ask the user to read rec.music.dylan, and unsubscribe from HWY61-L.
:
:Sorry for any bother I've caused,
:
:        Richard.
:--
:Richard Wendland                             http://www.netcraft.com
:[log in to unmask]    Phone +44 1225 404406    Fax +44 1225 404401
:

So there ya go ...

Maureen

:-)