"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 20:54:58 EST
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:12:34 -0500 Kenneth Udut said:
>Thank you for the warning.  I have considered setting Review
>for Listowner Only, and now have been convinced of it.
>Thank you.

   I hope EVERYONE does this!  Now that's a worthwhile crusade!

>BTW: There are CD-Rom databases that have the white pages of
>the entire USA available.  And they are cheap.  And remember
>to watch what's in your .plan, if you have one.

   There are differences between many  privacy issues - and states doing
this is a  clear invasion of privacy.  The problem  is, people don't sue
enough to stop these  things, and those who do usually don't  do it in a
way that will make the people stop such bad behavior.  Think about it: I
have to pay to keep my information  out of the phone book that they make
money on.  It should be the other way around: they should NOT put in ANY
information unless I ok it and they  should not charge me anything to do
so.  The state requires a drivers license: I have NO option to stop them
from  invading my  privacy if  I legally  want to  drive.  What  kind of
nonsense is that?

   Review by Listowner is the right  approach, and the only approach, to
safeguard privacy.  I guess conceal should work the other way around to,
but that's a moot point with Review by Listowner.

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**        ListOwner: AIRLINE, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List        **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **