Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:09:47 EDT
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:52:43 -0700 Sherry Beauchamp said:
>I know that it's possible to use the following syntax for new subscribers:
>
>ADD LISTNAME [log in to unmask] *
>
>which will search other lists on the server for the individual's name, and add
>it if it finds it.  If not, it subscribes them as (No Name Available).

The search for the name in other lists (or more, accurately, in LISTSERV's
signup files) is always done when a name is not available whether or not you
use the *.  However, if the name is not found anywhere (on the SUBSCRIBE
command, in the mail header or in the signup files) then the * will allow
LISTSERV to add the subscriber with (No name available).

Another way for a subscriber to be added without a name is to use the
SUBSCRIBE <listname> Anonymous
form of the command.  This will also automatically set the subscriber to
CONCEAL.
--
Bill Gruber
City University of New York COmputer Center