Wed, 24 May 2006 13:36:42 -0400
The group I'm in has been asked to develop an easy to use front end for
"information channels" about our computing environment. Some of the areas
are problems with specific systems (eg, mail system), general info about
specific systems, computing news, etc. We already have notification
methods that reach our technical audience, but senior non-technology
managers are looking for better information. The initial thought is about
20 "channels" but we think this could grow substantially. I'm very
familiar with Listserv's web interface, but I see no way to do this
directly.

The suggested design was a radio button front end to a group of listserv
lists- click a button and subscribe/unsubscribe to the list. Folks could
have multiple subscriptions to the same channel (e.g., email, text to
phone via email, etc.) The key driver is one place to go to do this, an
extremely simple front end. We would need to have a db table to track the
subscriptions, both to support the "multiple subscriptions per person
model" and for performance reasons (using Listserv to retrieve all
subscriptions for one person takes too long on our system).

There are obviously lots of buried issues with doing this. I don't relish
the thought of building a front end to listserv, but I like the
alternative even less, which is building a "simple" mailing list manager
(it appears simple but I know it won't be). As Francoise had suggested, we
have thought about Maestro. What I can't tell from the online information
is how simple we can make that subscriber interface. And that is the
driver for this project.

Ideas welcome.
-- Please send new requests for Listserv owner support to [log in to unmask]
-- Requests for support sent to [log in to unmask] will be delayed.
--
-- Syracuse University Listserv List Manager
-- Listserv webpage: http://listserv.syr.edu