Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 11:41:03 EDT
On Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:51:47 -0500 you said:
>The Temple University computer center was apparently shut down for
>maintenance/upgrading over part of the week end.  Maildelivery, however,
>began to turn erratic Friday night and did not fully recover Monday.
>In fact, messages still run from four to twenty-four hours late, and I
>have been receiving responses to messages from other parts of the
>country that have not yet even arrived in my mailbox.  In addition,
>I usually get from 25 to 100 error messages a day, and in the past
>five days there have been no more than five (I wouldn't complain
>if the change in pace/pattern were not so abrupt).  I suspect that
>there may be two independent problems involved.  Stan Horwitz
>wrote that the mail delivery system had choked for some reason
>over the week end but was supposed to be working again.  Assuming
>that the problem at Temple has been rectified, has anyone else
>experienced bottlenecks along the backbone?

Hello people;

Being as though, I  am the Stan Horwitz who Ingrid referred  to, I am obliged
to put in my two cents here.

Ingrid's concern about this situation  is understandable. Our only SMTP agent
on our VM  system seems to be  incredibly back logged the past  few days. One
of the people who maintains this our SMTP agent felt that the backlog was the
result of our system  being down for 12 hours last  Sunday. I feel otherwise.
As a  result, I  brought this problem  to the attention  of management  a few
hours ago and  asked that our SMTP  be fixed or other steps  taken to improve
Internet mail  throughput here as  soon as possible. This  problem definitely
took us by surprise!

Eric, thanks  for offering  to offload some  of our traffic.  I think  its an
option that we won't need to take.

Stan Horwitz, Consultant    | Bitnet           | Internet
Temple University           | V4039@TEMPLEVM   | [log in to unmask]

Manager of Help-Net and E-mail postmaster for VM.TEMPLE.EDU and TEMPLEVM